Skip to main content

Our Souls Were Made For Rock'n'Roll (pt. IV)

“Studded leather, strip it, and inside – the most beautiful soul”

My first reaction was to call Cynthia and tell her. After the first ring she picked up.
“I know, I just saw. I’m on my way. Get off work.”

As I hung up, Ron burst in the room.
“Vicious.”
“I know.”
“Did you…?”
“No. I know better than that and you know it, Ron.”
“I want you to arrange an interview for us. With Dany and Jayden, at least. ASAP. Chop-chop.”
He left the room. I knew full well a lot of magazines were going to start calling in asking if I had anything to do with this. I was one of the 10 journalists that got to interview Vicious in Paris in spring. Names spread fast.

I opened Vicious’ forum board and started going through the 12-page topic about ‘Anya’. All posts had the same question: Who is Anya and what is her relation to the band?
At some point Dany posted giving a brief explanation and picking on their curiosity more – Anya is just a woman we met on the road this year that inspired us all deeply. In fan language that usually meant ‘Anya is just a woman we met and fucked on the road.’
Next thing I knew I was reaching for my phone, dialing Jayden.

“Hey, love. Did you hear the news?”
He knew very well that thanks to him the biggest band of the decade was assigned to me.
“Yes, I did, Jayden. I need to talk to you, but first can you give me Dany’s number please?”
“Look, love, he’s really into you. Don’t reject him because he’s famous. He’s still human and capable of feeling.”
“You should’ve called me and told me about it. My career and job depend on this. You owe me big time, that’s why I want you to come with a good story and give an interview for my magazine. I’ll call you again in a few days to clear the details. Now Dany’s number.”
“He’ll call you in a minute, love. You let me know about the interview.”

The moment I let my phone down after talking with Jayden it rang again - a private number. My guess was it was the same number that called in Paris.
“Anya here.”
“Hello. Can we talk?”
“What the hell were you thinking, Dany?! Dedicating songs to me on your exclusive gig, breakfast on Seine, and now this?!”
“Listen, I’m sorry it had to be this way, but I knew you would never agree.”
“Of course I wouldn’t agree!”
At that moment Cynthia came into my office. With three fast clack-clack-clacks of her high heels she was at my desk, The Bitch looking at me. Her palm was stretched towards me, demanding the phone. I shook my head.
“I told you so… listen, how about I come down to – “
“No, no. Forget it. You and Jayden sit on your rock star asses and come up with a damn good story. You’ve got an interview with me next week, Dany Johnson.”
“And if you dare try to tangle my girl in your nets, I will rip your balls off and make a mirror dice for my car, you asshole!”
Cynthia spoke, loud enough so Dany could hear. I chuckled. That was The Bitch all right.
I hung up. Cynthia and I spoke briefly, I told her I’m going to England to interview them and I want her to come with me and we both headed to Ron’s office. We quickly arranged a date for next week and I immediately called Jayden and told him that next week is on.

Without even me asking, Ron told me to get the rest of the day off and me and Cynthia headed for my flat. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but Cynthia was a little different, a little quiet than usual.
When we got home, she nervously took off her sequined blazer carelessly throwing it over the back of a chair, then rummaged through her bag and took out a piece of paper. As I was reading, she went to the kitchen, got two glasses and pulled the bottle of vodka from my fridge. She came back with the glasses full and handed me one. I kept reading.

“Dear Cynthia Carlton,

I’m sending this letter on behalf of all my mates and band members of Vicious. Anya mentioned you are close friends, so I know no one better to turn to. We wrote a song entitled ‘Anya’. Well, the truth is I wrote most of it, but the guys agreed to play it and helped with it. We were all, in one way, or another, touched by her and the lease we could do is this.
Please let her know we mean her no ill will. I give you the lyrics of the song, as the single itself will be at your editorial in no more than a day.

Anya

On that river bank
When time flowed by
As the water reflected us
We stood – you and me

Studded leather, the faintest silk –
Water frozen, now it’s spilled
Strip your soul, strip mine too –
Studded leather and faint silk

Our reflections whispered
“Kiss, kiss and you’ll see”
As we stood there – you and me,
We were left there – broken dreams.

Strip my soul
Strip my leather

Studded leather, strip it, and inside – the most beautiful soul



Let Anya know we are looking forward to see her again.

Thanks for your help and rock on,
Dany Johnson”

I looked at Cynthia, speechless.
“It arrived today in my e-mail, An. I didn’t want to show it to you in front of Ron.”
“Thank you, it really is better if he doesn’t find out about all this. What can I do?”
She shrugged.
“He seems really into you. If I tell you to go for it, I shit on my principles and if I tell you not to, I shit on women’s principles.”

09.08.2010
Replica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

"Last night, a stolen, incomplete and early version of X-Men Origins: Wolverine was posted illegally on a website. It was without many effects, had missing and unedited scenes and temporary sound and music. We immediately contacted the appropriate legal authorities and had it removed. We forensically mark our content so we can identify sources that make it available or download it. The source of the initial leak and any subsequent postings will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law – the courts have handed down significant criminal sentences for such acts in the past. The FBI and the MPAA also are actively investigating this crime. We are encouraged by the support of fansites condemning this illegal posting and pointing out that such theft undermines the enormous efforts of the filmmakers and actors, and above all, hurts the fans of the film." Yes, it did leak. Yes, it is a "crappy" version of the movie. Yet fans like me, and I believe I'm not alone out

Българи, къде сте?

Питала съм се този въпрос много през последната година и малко. Все си мислех, че в България има останали българи, които да уважават историята, миналото и изобщо всичко, което България претендира да е. Оказва се, обаче, че повечето от тези хора много отдавна не населяват територията на страната. Самата аз никога не съм била "националистка" до кой знае каква степен, но някак си, мисля, че е абсолютно нормално да обичаш страната, която ти е била/е дом. Нещо като генетично програмираното ти чувство на обич и уважение към родителите. Имам доста близък приятел, който, обратно на мен, е "националист" и донякъде споделям гледните му точки в много отношения. Вярно, той е доста по-краен в действията си - бие се, ходи на активни протести и всички останали неща, на които ние, простите хорица, гледаме с лошо око. Започвам да се питам дали това наистина не е единствения начин да спасим България. Негласно, българите сме роби отново. Роби на простотията, на комплексарщината, на по

The Dark Knight

Once upon a time in the far far away kingdom of Finland, there was a beautiful princess. Everyone were amazed by her voice and she had eyes like the purest mountain stream. All the young men in the kingdom wanted her as a wife, but the princess had a secret only her father knew. She was a he. Time went by and the princess had to get married. His father knew that no man would agree to take his son, so he locked him up in the tallest tower. The king had read many stories of how brave knights saved the princesses from high towers, so he placed a dragon to guard the princess. Word soon spread out across the kingdom and the bravest of knights shined their armor and traded for the best steeds. There was one amongst them that was different. He was a she. She had no experience whatsoever in dealing with dragons, but decided to try her luck just to prove she can be as tough as the men. She rode day and night for 4 days until she reached the tallest tower with the dragon guarding it. She took he